Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Enjoy this fresh Italian cheese in easy weeknight dinners or a light dessert - of just spread it on toast! From Chatelaine magazine. Enjoy!
- 8 cups homogenized milk, at room temperature (3.25%)
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons 35% cream
- Line a large fine-mesh metal strainer with a triple layer of cheesecloth large enough to hang over the edges. Set over a 8-cup measuring cup.
- Pour milk into a large, very wide saucepan and heat over high. Stir often until milk become steamy and frothy around the edges or reads 185F on a thermometer, about 6 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Stir in lemon juice and salt. Let stand until the liquid turns a yellowish colour and milky-white curds float to the surface, about 2 minutes. Gradually pour mixture into the prepared strainer. Let sit, stirring curds very gently once or twice, until about 7 cups of liquid has drained off, about 5 minutes. Discard liquid.
- Transfer cheese into a bowl. Refrigerate until chilled. Just before using, stir in cream. Ricotta will keep well, refrigerated, up to 1 week.