I found this in one of the magazines I subscribe to, Cooking for Two. There are several other mixes like this here at Zaar, but this one has several other ingredients and is much more and I like it. The variations are posted below.
- 2 cups powdered milk
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch, plus
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup instant mashed potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chicken bouillon granule
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 1 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- Combine all ingredients in an airtight container. Store in a cool dry place for up to a year.
- To use: for one can condensed cream of chicken soup, heat 1 1/3 cups water and 6 tablespoons of mix in a microwave safe bowl. Heat on high for 3-5 minutes or until thick and bubbly whisking occasionally.
- For mushroom soup, add 1/2 to 1 cup sautéed sliced mushrooms.
- For celery soup, add 1 sautéed chopped celery rib or 1/4 teaspoons celery salt.
- For 1/2 a can, divide measurements in half. This comes in handy when making half a recipe.