I found this in one of the magazines I subscribe to, Cooking for Two. There are several other mixes like this here at Zaar, but this one has several other ingredients and is much more and I like it. The variations are posted below.
- 2 cups powdered milk
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch, plus
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup instant mashed potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chicken bouillon granule
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 1 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- Combine all ingredients in an airtight container. Store in a cool dry place for up to a year.
- To use: for one can condensed cream of chicken soup, heat 1 1/3 cups water and 6 tablespoons of mix in a microwave safe bowl. Heat on high for 3-5 minutes or until thick and bubbly whisking occasionally.
- For mushroom soup, add 1/2 to 1 cup sautéed sliced mushrooms.
- For celery soup, add 1 sautéed chopped celery rib or 1/4 teaspoons celery salt.
- For 1/2 a can, divide measurements in half. This comes in handy when making half a recipe.
Wonderful! Here's how I adjusted it. I prefer not to use powdered milk as it is a source of glutamate (MSG), which my husband and one son are sensitive to. So, I left that out, and replaced the instant mashed potatoes with the same measurement of freshly ground whole wheat flour. I store the mix in the freezer to ensure the flour doesn't go rancid. When preparing, use half water and half milk for the liquid, or even all milk for a richer taste. I also add a couple of Tbsps of butter to the liquid and prepare it on the stovetop rather than in the microwave.
I love this recipe!! I use it all the time. I originally found it in that same magazine. I'm so glad you posted it now I can save it to my zaar cookbook and not have to search my magazines for it.
I made this today to make a chicken recipe.There are so many recipes using canned soup that are fantastic,but my DH can't tolerate MSG and this recipe is exactly what I needed.Thank you for posting.I also started getting the magazine Cooking for 2. Happy cooking! Rita I have been using this mix instead of canned soup and it works all the time.I made a batch this morning and want to include some pictures. Sage/Rita