Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
You can have this to the table in under 30 minutes. Although it is easy and quick to prepare, you really have to be at the stove for the whole 30 minutes. It has great flavor on its own, but feel free to add some cheddar cheese or crumbled bacon to the top.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite sized pieces (fresh or frozen)
- 6 cups chicken broth (or you can use the 49 1/2 oz can)
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the 6 T. butter. Add in the flour and stir until blended; do not brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the 2 T. butter. Add onion; cook until tender. Add chopped broccoli florets, cook and stir about 6 minutes. Add the chicken broth. Increase the heat at this point and bring to a boil. Whisking constantly, add the flour mixture. Cook and stir until soup is thickened and bubbly.
- Lastly, add in the salt, pepper, and half & half. Heat through and serve hot. Note: The soup will thicken upon standing.
- You can substitute cauliflower or broccoflower in place of the broccoli.
I think this is the ideal "no-frills" cream of broccoli soup. It's simple, yet satisfying. I made this as written, just used fat free half and half. I was tempted to add cheese, but I didn't and was still pleased with the results. The thickness was just right and because it's not pureed like many others, there's still texture. Thanx for posting this quick and easy recipe.
Definately easy and really good. I think next time I'll make the white sauce and then add the saute'd onions and broccoli to the sauce instead of the other way around. I used stems chopped up well along with the florets. Just another way to use the whole broccoli. I cooked it longer than recommended because I used fresh and wanted it to be tender. I'm sure frozen would be quicker. Next time I'll probably try it with leftover Broccoli. This made a good dinner. Seems like something I could make for company. No stress - great reward! Thanks!
One of my favorites yet. Very simple and easy, also satisfying. I added a bit of cheddar cheese to my liking and it was perfect. You can add carrots along with the broccoli if you're a veggie person. Just a tip. Anyways, thanks for sharing!