Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My mom gave me this recipe many years ago. I've used it nearly every year at Christmastime, making gifts for family and friends. I shop all year long for pretty bottles for gift-giving. When I started making it, we lived in North Carolina, where you can buy Everclear, Now, however, we live in Virginia and can get vodka. I use 100 proof and it doesn't seem to affect the outcome at all. Number of servings is a guess and so is the amount of time it takes, as there are many variables in these. Enjoy!
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon green food coloring
- 3⁄4 cup Everclear alcohol
- Bring water and sugar to a slow boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. (I have used the microwave for this, and it worked fine.).
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- If foam forms in the sugar/water mixture, skim off now.
- Add food coloring, mint and Everclear or vodka.
- Put in pretty bottles.