Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A tasty cranberry sauce that beats the heck out of the canned stuff, although you may miss that suction sound those jellied logs make as they leave the can. Cooking time includes 30 minutes cooking, 30 minutes cooling.
- 12 ounces cranberries
- 3⁄4-1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- water, to cover
- 1 -2 tablespoon cornstarch
- Place cranberries, sugar, lemon juice, and orange juice in a small sauce pan.
- Add enough water to cover cranberries.
- Bring to boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes or until cranberries have split open.
- Dissolve 1 to 2 tablespoons of cornstarch (depending on desired consistency of cranberry sauce) in an equal amount of cold water.
- Stir cornstarch paste into cranberries to thicken, then remove from heat and allow to cool about 20-30 minutes.
I'm not sure if it was the combination of the lemon juice and the orange juice or I just got ahold of some extremely tart cranberries because I ended up using a cup and a half of sugar in this recipe. I used 1 cup to begin with but after testing it was just too tart. I used 2 tablespoons cornstarch and water to thicken. Overall, this is a good tasting recipe. We enjoyed the orange flavor. Next time I might just leave out the lemon juice though and use all orange juice.