I'll be honest and say I haven't tried this yet but I was just so intrigued by the idea of making my own cottage cheese that I had to share.
- Heat the milk to 190F.
- You will need a thermometer for other cheeses but you can get by here turning off the heat just before the milk begins to boil.
- Add the vinegar and allow the mixture to cool.
- When cool, pour the mixture, which now consists of curds and whey into a colander and drain off the whey.
- Pour the curds into a bowl and sprinkle on the salt and mix well.
- You may wish to use less salt or more, depending on your taste.
- A little cream could also be added, for a more silky variation.
- Now the best part, enjoy fresh or use in a cooked dish such as a lasagna!