Prep 1 hr
Cook 55 mins
This is a thanksgiving winner! This recipe has developed over the years and is soooo good!
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) boxes Jiffy cornbread mix
- 8 ounces Jimmy Dean sausage
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped (leaves included)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- turkey gizzard, liver and heart
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 ounces vegetable seasoning, I use Goya
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can corn, drained
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Bake corn bread the night before.
- Clean gizzards, heart and liver.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer with 1/4 of onions, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and 1 clove garlic for about an hour.
- In a large bowl, crumble cornbread and set aside.
- Cumble and brown sausage in a large skillet.
- Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add margarine and saute remaining onions, garlic, peppers, celery, corn, parsley and mushrooms.
- Add sage, poultry seasoning, and goya packet and cook another minute.
- Add sauted veggie mixture to crumbled cornbread.
- Mix well.
- Add sausage.
- Take cooked turkey parts, cut them up and add to cornbread mixture.
- Mix well.
- Remove bay leaves from simmer pot and pour broth over cornbread mixture to moisten.
- Add chicken broth as needed.
- Stuff bird.
- Put any remaining stuffing in a baking dish and bake at 350 for about 55 minutes.
- Can be made a day in advance and covered tightly in fridge.