Recipe by Steve P.
An easy to make homemade substitute for store bought boxed cornbread or muffin mixes. Follow the baking instructions included or use 2 cups of the mix in place of boxed mix called for in your recipe.
Top Review by stevecindydurham_9271269
I have to add a note here: Cornbread is best when baked in a hot cast iron skillet. Put about two tablespoons of fat (oil, lard, etc.) in the skillet and put in the oven at 400 degrees F. while you are mixing the cornbread. When the skillet is hot, pour in the batter. You'll see a heavy crust immediately begin to form. This is southern-style cornbread. Also note that lots of folk from the south do not like sugar in their cornbread.
- 6 cups flour
- 6 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together flour, cornmeal, dry milk powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt in an extra large mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry blender till mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Store in a covered airtight container or self sealing plastic bag for up to 6 weeks at room temperature.
- (For longer storage, place in freezer container and seal; store in freezer up to 6 months; to use, allow mix to come to room temperature).
- To use mix for corn bread or muffins, lightly spoon into a measuring cup; level with a straight edged spatula: Makes 16 cups of mix.
- To bake corn bread or muffins: Grease or spray an 8x8x2 inch baking pan or 10 2 1/2 inch muffin cups with nonstick spray coating.
- Place 2 cups Corn Bread Mix in a large mixing bowl; If desired, add 3/4 teaspoon dried basil or thyme, crushed; or dried chives, chili powder, or poultry seasoning.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture; combine 1 beaten egg and 3/4 cup water in a small bowl; add all at once to mix.
- Stir just till batter is smooth (do not over beat).
- Pour batter into prepared pan or spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake in a 425°F degree over for 20-25 minutes for corn bread, and about 15 minutes for muffins or till golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Makes 10 muffins.