Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a healthier way to prepare cornbread. It taste just like the regular! Enjoy!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare an 8X8 baking dish with cooking spray (I prefer Pam).
- In bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- In separate bowl, combine milk, egg substitute, and oil.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until slightly moistened.
- Pour batter into baking dish.
- Bake approximately 15 minutes or until slightly brown.
Having never made cornbread before , thought I would try this one!! ( The healthier option sold it to me !!!!)I couldn't find cornmeal in my supermarket(I live in England by the way !!) so used "Masa Harina" which I presume is the same or similar thing ????(As an afterthought, could I have used Polenta??)Also couldn't find egg substitute so used one egg instead. Went very well with the recipe by Baby Chevelle for "Weight Watchers Mexican Chicken breasts" and WidlifeDi's recipe for "Salsa" !!!! Anyway the upshot of it all was that we loved it !!!!!!!So thank you Leona from here in the UK !!!
Very tasty basic low fat cornbread. I usually like mine sweeter, so next time I would add a little splenda. Served with vegetarian chili for a quick and easy dinner.
Being raised in the south we never use sugar in corbread and being diabetic I dont need it,so left it out ,i do find your use of egg substitute helpful,and skim milk although buttermilk is only 1% fat-so I still used it.Thanks for posting.