Posted by request. Times are estimates.
Make and share this Homemade Corn Syrup Substitute ( Simple Syrup ) recipe from Food.com.
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and put cover for 3 minutes to get sugar crystals off the sides of the pan.
- Uncover and simmer, stirring often, until it reaches the soft ball stage.
- Cool and store in a covered container at room temperature.
- Your syrup should keep for about 2 months.
- Makes about 2 cups.
NOTE: for those who think this is healthier than high fructose corn syrup. The purpose of the cream of tartar is to break the sugar down into glucose and fructose. So probably not any better than storebought from a health point of view. Some recipes need these simple sugars to stop crystals forming (eg candy, some frostings) but for other purposes (eg pancake syrup) maybe better to find an alternative if health is your motivation.
It may not be "healthier," but for those with a corn allergy, this could be a great recipe. My 6 year old son has missed having marshmallows since he was diagnosed with a corn allergy a year ago, now we can make them at home! :) Thanks for the recipe!
I only gave this 3 stars as the posted recipe failed. I tried it again doubling the water which worked perfect. I also feel it should be noted that this takes almost 1 hour to cook. It must be slowly simmered. The first batch I cooked to quickly and it turned to hard sugar.