Recipe by Roosie
Posted by request. Times are estimates.
Top Review by sorrelm
NOTE: for those who think this is healthier than high fructose corn syrup. The purpose of the cream of tartar is to break the sugar down into glucose and fructose. So probably not any better than storebought from a health point of view. Some recipes need these simple sugars to stop crystals forming (eg candy, some frostings) but for other purposes (eg pancake syrup) maybe better to find an alternative if health is your motivation.
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and put cover for 3 minutes to get sugar crystals off the sides of the pan.
- Uncover and simmer, stirring often, until it reaches the soft ball stage.
- Cool and store in a covered container at room temperature.
- Your syrup should keep for about 2 months.
- Makes about 2 cups.