Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
You have these ingredients already. So save yourself a trip to the store, some money, and some sodium. Here's a flavorful condensed cream of chicken soup base recipe for use in dishes that call for canned creamed soups. Use instead of condensed canned cream soups in recipes. Just add the ingredient that forms the basis of the soup. Chop mushrooms, sauté in a bit of olive oil and add for cream of mushroom soup. Add chicken for cream of chicken soup. Chop & sauté celery for, you guessed it, cream of celery. (As found at tammysrecipes.com/homemade_cream_chicken_soup ) Yields 3 cups -- about 2 (10.5 oz) cans of condensed cream of 'whatever'.
- 354.88 ml chicken broth
- 2.46 ml poultry, seasoning*
- 1.23 ml onion powder
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 0.59 ml black pepper
- 1.23 ml salt (or less, taste to test)
- 1.23 ml parsley
- 0.25 ml paprika
- 354.88 ml milk
- 177.44 ml flour
- In medium-sized saucepan, boil chicken broth, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings for a minute or two (longer if using fresh onions or garlic).
- In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and flour. Add to boiling mixture and continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens.
- Add the ingredient that forms the basis of the soup. Chop mushrooms, saute in a bit of olive oil and add for cream of mushroom soup. Add chicken for cream of chicken soup.
- *Don't have poultry seasoning? Make your own like I did -- try the recipezaar recipe #23966 - Homemade Poultry Seasoning.
- This is awesome in my posted recipe "Easy Chicken & Noodles -- the Best" Recipe #359244. It makes that recipe not quite as easy, but less salty and more delicious. I would double this recipe and freeze extra if using it for that purpose.
Great substitute for those cream soups we sometimes don't have on hand. I put plenty of mushrooms in mine. I also thickened mine with cornstarch, I prefer that over flour. Cornstarch does not get grainy or lumpy. I also added a Tablespoon of butter to make it rich and creamy. Ummmm! I made half the recipe but was wondering if anyone knows if this could be frozen for later uses.
Wow! Honestly, I'm really surprised at how well it turned out - really flavorful with all those spices. I think next time I might experiment with cornstarch for thickener instead of the flour because it was a tiny bit grainy, but it was great for Thanksgiving green bean casserole. I've used cream of X soup recipes several times before, but never have I been so pleased with the results. I think my search for a go-to recipe is over.
This recipe is great! I had to use soy milk and it still turned out awesome! This is definitely going to be made again! Thank you!