You have these ingredients already. So save yourself a trip to the store, some money, and some sodium. Here's a flavorful condensed cream of chicken soup base recipe for use in dishes that call for canned creamed soups. Use instead of condensed canned cream soups in recipes. Just add the ingredient that forms the basis of the soup. Chop mushrooms, sauté in a bit of olive oil and add for cream of mushroom soup. Add chicken for cream of chicken soup. Chop & sauté celery for, you guessed it, cream of celery. (As found at tammysrecipes.com/homemade_cream_chicken_soup ) Yields 3 cups -- about 2 (10.5 oz) cans of condensed cream of 'whatever'.
- In medium-sized saucepan, boil chicken broth, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings for a minute or two (longer if using fresh onions or garlic).
- In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and flour. Add to boiling mixture and continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens.
- Add the ingredient that forms the basis of the soup. Chop mushrooms, saute in a bit of olive oil and add for cream of mushroom soup. Add chicken for cream of chicken soup.
- *Don't have poultry seasoning? Make your own like I did -- try the recipezaar recipe #23966 - Homemade Poultry Seasoning.
- This is awesome in my posted recipe "Easy Chicken & Noodles -- the Best" Recipe #359244. It makes that recipe not quite as easy, but less salty and more delicious. I would double this recipe and freeze extra if using it for that purpose.