Recipe by DaHomeCooker
This recipe for great tasting homemade coffee liquor is sure to spark conversation.
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups alcohol (vodka for Kahlua, rum for Tia Maria)
- 1 cup dry instant coffee (dark brew provides stronger coffee flavor While fresh ground coffee leads to tastier Kahlua and Tia ) or 1⁄2 cup fresh ground coffee (dark brew provides stronger coffee flavor While fresh ground coffee leads to tastier Kahlua and Tia )
- 1 vanilla beans or 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the water and sugar in large pot, until sugar is completely dissolved. Stir.
- Remove from heat, cool for half an hour.
- Slowly add in the dry instant or fresh ground coffee, stirring continuously.
- Add vanilla to the alcohol (vodka or rum), pour into gallon jug.
- Combine cooled sugar syrup and coffee mixture with the vodka or rum in gallon jug.
- Cover tightly, and shake every day for three weeks. Store in cool, dark place.
- After three weeks, remove vanilla bean (if used) and strain coffee grounds (if fresh ground coffee was used). Discard vanilla bean and coffee grounds.