You can do as fillets, but kids love fish sticks. Either way they taste great!
Make and share this Homemade Cod Fish Sticks recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb cod fish fillet
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne, to taste
- 2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs or 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped almonds (optional)
- flour, for dredging
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with
- 2 tablespoons water, to make an eggwash
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- PREP: Cut fillets into 1/2-inch strips and season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Set aside. Place flour in shallow pan, set aside. Place eggwash into another shallow pan and set that aside. Mix breadcrumbs (or panko) and optional almonds and place into yet another shallow pan.
- Dredge strips of cod in flour shaking off excess. Dip next in eggwash and then in the bread crumb mixture, pressing down lightly into breading to coat. Set coated fish on waxed paper-lined sheet pan.
- In a large skillet heat butter and oil over moderate heat. Carefully add the coated fish strips and cook about 2-4 minutes per side, until golden brown. Do in batches if necessary. Transfer fish strips to paper towels to drain.
The family loved the fish! I've never made fish sticks before, but it was easy and super yummy! Now I can enjoy fish sticks again (I won't eat the store bought they are too fishy and yucky). Thank you for a great recipe!!
I made as directed, but did not use the optional almonds. I served with my tartar sauce recipe. Delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe.