Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
Coconut cream fresh from your kitchen. Found on About.com when researching recipes for ZWT5. To be used in savory dishes, desserts, and drinks. Use within five days.
- 1 coconut, shell removed and flesh grated, coconut water reserved
- reserved coconut water, PLUS enough cream to measure 1 quart
- In a heavy saucepan, cover the grated coconut with the coconut water and cream. Bring slowly to a boil, stirring often. Cover with a lid and let cool to room temperature.
- Place a sieve or strainer over a large bowl. Line it with a double layer of cheesecloth. Pour the soaked coconut with its liquid into the lined strainer. Lift the cheesecloth, pull the edges together, and squeeze out the coconut cream.
- The remaining coconut flesh may be air-dryed and/or toasted for other uses.
- Refrigerate the coconut cream and use within 5 days.