1/2 Photos of Homemade Cinnamon Swirl Bread
3 hrs 50 mins
August Dopp's Note:
I've made this bread for many years during the winter holidays. They make great gifts if you can't spend a lot of money. Great to take away to college too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (14.17 g) package fast rise yeast
- 473.18 ml scalded 2% low-fat milk or 473.18 ml whole milk
- 0 water (80 - 110)
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 2 eggs
- 236.59 ml butter flavor shortening or 236.59 ml real shortening
- unsalted butter
- 1774.42-1892.72 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- melted butter or margarine
- raisins (optional) or chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1Mix both packages of yeast and water together.
- 2In large bowl, mix together sugar and salt.
- 3Also add butter to bowl, but do not mix.
- 4Pour scalded milk over butter, sugar and salt.
- 5Add 3 cups of flour and mix until soft dough forms.
- 6Mix in eggs and yeast into dough.
- 7Add the remainder of the dough until stiff dough forms.
- 8Take out of bowl, cover, and let rest 10 minutes.
- 9Knead for about 8 minutes until soft, elastic dough forms.
- 10Place in lightly greased bowl, turning once to cover dough.
- 11Cover and let rest in a warm place for 45 minutes to an hour, or until double in size.
- 12Punch down and let rest another 45 minutes, or until double again.
- 13Take out of bowl and let rest for 5 minutes.
- 14Divide dough in half, and roll each half into a ball.
- 15Starting with the first half, roll out into a 15x7-inch rectangle.
- 16Brush melted butter all over top of rectangle.
- 17Starting with the cinnamon, sprinkle a thin layer over the rectangle.
- 18Then cover the cinnamon with a layer of sugar.
- 19The a layer of cinnamon.
- 20Repeat until you have about 4 or 5 layers of each.
- 21Repeat steps 12 & 13 with the second half of the dough.
- 22Roll up each rectangle, jelly-roll style, and place in greased bread pan.
- 23Cover and let rest for 45 minutes.
- 24Place in hot oven (375°F) for 45 minutes to an hour.
- 25Crust should be crispy and a golden brown.
- 26If wanted, 5 minutes before bread is done, butter can be brushed on crust to give it a creamier taste.
- 27If crust browns to fast, put aluminum over bread.
- 28Tip- if nuts or raisins are wanted in bread, place them on top of the cinnamon/sugar layers before rolling up.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Cinnamon Swirl Bread
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1208.9
- Calories from Fat 422
- Total Fat 46.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 82.2 mg
- Sodium 312.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 169.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 25.4 g
- Protein 26.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: