3 hrs 20 mins
These rolls are from The Bread Bakers Apprentice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 1/2 tablespoons shortening or 5 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 5 1/2 tablespoons margarine, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract or 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour or 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- milk or buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup cinnamon sugar (6 1/2 tbs granulated sugar plus 1 1/2 tbs ground cinnamon)
- 1Cream together the sugar, salt, and shortening on medium-high in an electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a large metal spoon and mixing bowl and do it by hand); if you are using powdered milk, cream the milk with the sugar, but add the water with the flower and yeast. Whip in the egg and the lemon extract until smooth. Then add the flower, yeast, and milk. Mix on low speed (or stir by hand) until the dough forms a ball. Switch to the dough hook and increase the speed to medium, mixing for approximately 10 minutes (or knead by hand for 12 to 15 minutes), or until the dough is silky and supple, tacky but not sticky. You may have to add a little flour or water while mixing to achieve the texture. The dough should pass the windowpane test and register 77 to 81°F Lightly oil a large bowl and transfer the dough to the bowl, rolling it around to coat it with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- 2Ferment at room temperature for approximately 2 hours, or until the dough doubles in size.
- 3Mist the counter with spray oil and transfer the dough to the counter. Shape the rolls.
- 4Line 1 or more sheet pans with baking perchment. Place the buns approximately 1/2 inch apart so that they aren't touching but are close to one another.
- 5Proof at room temperature for 75 to 90 minutes, or until the pieces have grown into one another and have nearly doubled in size. You may also retard the shaped buns in the refrigreator for up to 2 days, pulling the pans out of the refrigreator 3 to 4 hours before baking to allow the dough to proof.
- 6Preheat the oven to 350°F
- 7Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 8Cool the buns in the pan for about 10 minutes. Remove the buns from the pan to a cooling rack. Wait at least 20 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (66 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.5
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 26.4 mg
- Sodium 301.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 22.9 g
- Protein 8.3 g