Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Tasty vegetable soup.... kids love it, I love making it as it is really easy and suitable for vegetarians. Excellant on a cold winter day!
- 2 carrots (thinly sliced)
- 2 leeks (thinly sliced)
- 2 parsnips (cut into 5mm cubes)
- 2 celery ribs (thinly sliced)
- 1 medium onion (thinly sliced)
- 1⁄4 medium swede (cut into 5mm cubes)
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 -3 pints vegetable stock
- 50 g small shell pasta (dry weight)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Place all the vegetables and chopped tomatoes in a very large pan. Add the garlic, bacy leaf, salt and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1-1.5 hours, until the vegetables are tender.
- 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the pasta shapes and dried oregano.
- When the soup is cooked, remove the bay leaf and discard. Season to taste and serve. (If a thick soup is preferred, place half the vegetalbes in a liquidiser and puree, then stir back into the remaining vegetables).