Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Found at preparedpantry.com, this recipe lets you take your marshmallow cream dreams a step further. Suggestions for use included sandwich cookies + layer cake filling & frosting. I cannot help but think this would also be very good as a simple garnish for spec desserts & a kid-pleaser after-school snack when spread on a flour tortilla filled w/banana slices. *ENJOY* (Times & servings were not given & have been estimated. Time for mixture to cool was not included.)
- In a very clean glass or metal bowl, beat the egg whites & cream of tartar till light & foamy.
- W/the mixer still running, sprinkle in the 2 tbsp of sugar, cont beating till soft peaks form & set aside.
- In a sml saucepan, mix the water, corn syrup & granulated sugar together. Cook over med heat till it boils & comes to the firm ball stage (246°). Do not overcook.
- Drizzle the hot syrup into the egg whites w/the mixer running on low.
- Turn the mixer to high & beat for 5-6 min or till the sauce is very fluffy & the consistency of marshmallow cream. Beat in the extract & cocoa.
- NOTE: Allow the mixture to cool completely b4 using or refrigerate for later use.
We liked it.... it's very rich and chocolate-ty and the recipe was easy to follow. I don't have a candy thermometer and so after some minutes boiling the corn syrup mixture I tested it every 30 seconds or so, dropping a drop into a bowl of cold water and as soon as it made a little ball I drizzled the mix into the egg whites. I beat the resulting mix for a good ten minutes (timed) but it still didn't go marshmallow-ey as I expected it would, rather it stayed as a very thick chocolate mousse consistancy , but not fluffy. The taste was excellent, No problem there I just found it too rich to eat much of.. I think that had I managed to get it to the marshmallow consistancy I would have liked it better. DH devoured it... he didn't care at all how it "should" have looked LOL. Please see my rating system: 4 stars for great flavour and having made marshmallow successfully before I have no idea why this one didn't do it's fluff stuff as expected, but even as a very rich chocolate dessert it was very nice. Thanks!