Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Nice and hearty. Great comfort food for those cold winter nights.
Make and share this Homemade Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 Italian sausages (no casings)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) cantomato & basil pasta sauce
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can pork and beans in tomato sauce
- 1 (19 ounce) can six bean blend (drained & rinsed)
- 2 (19 ounce) cans red kidney beans (drained & rinsed)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1⁄2 red & yellow & orange pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Brown ground beef, onion & garlic and put aside.
- Brown sausage separately and put aside.
- In a very large stock pot mix all can ingredients together.
- Start at very low heat.
- Add browned meat to mixture.
- Chop all fresh ingredients and add to pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer on low for 2 hours.
- Remove from heat and serve or put aside for next days dinner.
- Freeze in small containers for quick weeknight dinners.
This chili has all my favorite ingredients. Changed a couple things, increased the beef & garlic abit, sub'd in regular sugar & added 1/2 of a chopped jalapeno & meat from 1 italian sausage. I made this for company so I didn't want it real hot & spicy, it worked perfectly even with the extra jalapeno. I also changed up the cooking process, sauted the fresh vegys 2-3 mins before adding the canned goods etc. I find this is an important step, especially due to the garlic. The chili was very tasty & I got lots of compliments on it, thanks for sharing.