Recipe by MnM's Mom
Nice and hearty. Great comfort food for those cold winter nights. Revised: 7 January 2017
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
This chili has all my favorite ingredients. Changed a couple things, increased the beef & garlic abit, sub'd in regular sugar & added 1/2 of a chopped jalapeno & meat from 1 italian sausage. I made this for company so I didn't want it real hot & spicy, it worked perfectly even with the extra jalapeno. I also changed up the cooking process, sauted the fresh vegys 2-3 mins before adding the canned goods etc. I find this is an important step, especially due to the garlic. The chili was very tasty & I got lots of compliments on it, thanks for sharing.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 Italian sausages (no casings)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (680 ml) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (680 ml) cantomato & basil pasta sauce
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can pork and beans in tomato sauce
- 1 (19 ounce) can six bean blend (drained & rinsed)
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans (drained & rinsed)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic cloves (or 4 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon knorr beef liquid bouillon
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large Dutch oven, brown ground beef & sausage; when done drain through a colander.
- Add it back to the Dutch oven and stir in chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cook for 2 minutes. Then stir in tomato paste.
- Saute mushrooms & celery in olive oil.
- Saute onion & green pepper, when almost done, add garlic and saute until just fragrant.
- Stir in all other ingredients and simmer for 2 hours on low.