Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
from Harry Caray's Restaurant Cookbook, the official home plate of the Chicago cubs. Also used for Chicken Vesuvio.
- Heat olive oil in large stockpot at medium heat.
- Add and brown chicken bones at both sides.
- Add rest of ingredients except water and saute until onions are translucent.
- Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours until liquid is reduced by 1/3.
- Strain. The stock can be frozen for later use.
This is a terrific stock, very delicious and easy to make. I used it for chicken noodle soup and buns for dinner last night and everyone loved it. The rest went in the freezer for a later date. Thanks for posting! Made for Aussie Swap :)
This produces a really rich broth. Browning the bones adds the extra richness. (I have done a similar version by roasting the carcass and bones on a baking sheet until browned). I used the whole batch to make Chicken Soup With Asparagus and Rice. Thanks for this keeper (which is really easy to make)!
Made this up in no time, & was happy to have done the entire recipe, 'cause I've now restocked my frozen supply! Also used some of it right away for a chicken noodle soup & was very pleased with the results! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #26]