Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
If you want to use the stock right away, skim the fat off the top first. If planning to use it later, refridgerate until the fat congeals on the surface, then lift it off. To make vegetable stock, substitute 2 whole tomatoes for the hen. From Canadian Living November 2008
- 1 stewing chicken (or 3lb/1.5kg chicken pieces)
- 3 carrots, unpeeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 onions, unpeeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (stems and or or caps)
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 10 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups cold water
- Place chicken in slow cooker or large stockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients, ending with water.
- Cover and cook on low until richly flavored, 8 to 10 hours in slow cooker, 4 hours on stove top.
- Discard chicken. Strain stock through cheesecloth lined sieve into large bowl, pressing vegetables to extract liquid. Remove fat.
- Refrigerate in air tight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 4 months.
I made the veggie version with roma tomatoes and it was awesome! I added some extra fresh lemon thyme. Also added some all purpose seasoning and some salt. I cooked mine on low on the stove for about 5 hours. AWESOME. Made for AUS/NZ Recipe Swap May 2009.
Excellent! As I have often been known to say "you can't go wrong with a Canadian Living recipe" and this one is good! Other then using chicken pieces I made as posted using the stove top. Going to give the large slow cooker a go next time around. Had plenty of fresh parsley so used all ten springs. The seasoning was just right for us. I like making my own chicken stock and this one has been added to my collection. Thank you.