If you want to use the stock right away, skim the fat off the top first. If planning to use it later, refridgerate until the fat congeals on the surface, then lift it off. To make vegetable stock, substitute 2 whole tomatoes for the hen. From Canadian Living November 2008
- 1 stewing chicken (or 3lb/1.5kg chicken pieces)
- 3 carrots, unpeeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 onions, unpeeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (stems and or or caps)
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 10 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups cold water
- Place chicken in slow cooker or large stockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients, ending with water.
- Cover and cook on low until richly flavored, 8 to 10 hours in slow cooker, 4 hours on stove top.
- Discard chicken. Strain stock through cheesecloth lined sieve into large bowl, pressing vegetables to extract liquid. Remove fat.
- Refrigerate in air tight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 4 months.