1/1 Photo of Homemade Chicken Stock
4 hrs 20 mins
Az B's Note:
If you want to use the stock right away, skim the fat off the top first. If planning to use it later, refridgerate until the fat congeals on the surface, then lift it off. To make vegetable stock, substitute 2 whole tomatoes for the hen. From Canadian Living November 2008
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 stewing chicken (or 3lb/1.5kg chicken pieces)
- 3 carrots, unpeeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 onions, unpeeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (stems and or or caps)
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 10 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups cold water
- 1Place chicken in slow cooker or large stockpot.
- 2Add the remaining ingredients, ending with water.
- 3Cover and cook on low until richly flavored, 8 to 10 hours in slow cooker, 4 hours on stove top.
- 4Discard chicken. Strain stock through cheesecloth lined sieve into large bowl, pressing vegetables to extract liquid. Remove fat.
- 5Refrigerate in air tight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 4 months.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Chicken Stock
Serving Size: 1 (427 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 295.1
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 70.6 mg
- Sodium 106.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 18.7 g