Recipe by Mom67
HOLD the cans of soup please! Trust me, you won't want to make chicken pot pie with canned soup again after trying this recipe. It's quick and simple enough for me to make on a weeknight and my family absolutely devours it. I use some fat free ingredients, but you'd never know from the taste. We love the carrots and broccoli, but you can change up the veggies a bit - I like to keep them fresh, but canned peas work well in place of the broccoli. Save time by using leftover chicken too. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Goodeatin
This rating is just for the gravy portion of the recipe- I used it to make a casserole version, but almost the same ingredients. I was looking for a homemade non-canned sauce, and this was just what I was looking for. It was very tasty, and I even left out the butter.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 cups broccoli florets, cut into small bite-size pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 fresh garlic clove, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (Pillsbury)
- 2 tablespoons Egg Beaters egg substitute (or 1 egg, whisked)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice carrots into thin discs, boil in water until soft.
- Put broccoli into colander, pour hot carrots and water over broccoli. This will steam the broccoli till just tender while draining the carrots. Set aside.
- Cut chicken breast into 1/4" cubes. Saute in oil until no longer pink.
- Put chicken, broccoli and carrots into 8-9" deep dish pie plate and stir to mix up.
- To make gravy, saute onion and garlic in butter. Add flour, stir to mix well.
- Remove from heat, add chicken broth, milk, salt and pepper. Return to medium-high heat, and bring to a boil for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add rosemary and fat free half and half.
- Pour gravy over vegetables. Carefully put pie crust over top, pinch edges and cut out a couple of round holes in top of crust for ventilation. Gently brush egg beaters (or beaten egg) lightly over entire crust.
- Bake in preheated oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Then turn oven down to 350 degrees and bake another 30 minutes.