Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
By far the best chicken pot pie I have ever tasted.
Make and share this Homemade Chicken Pot Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 roasting chicken
- 3 potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 8 ounces peas
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pie crust
- Get a small, whole chicken - a fryer is good.
- Put the chicken in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until the meat falls off the bones.
- Take the chicken out of the pot and port the broth through a strainer into a big bowl. (You will use this to make your gravy.).
- If you want potato and veggies in your pie, pre-cook them (except frozen veggies - just thaw them or they will be mushy).
- Put a pie crust in a pie pan. Lay pieces of chicken on the crust (about 4c of chicken). Put the potatoes and any veggies on top of the chicken.
- To make the gravy, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Slowly whisk in chicken broth. Cook over medium high heat until thickened, whisking frequently. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour gravy on top of the chicken and veggies. Put on the top crust and crimp the edges and cut a few small vents in the top of the crust.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes in a preheated 425 degree oven, until the crust is golden brown.
This was a wonderful pot pie! I used frozen peas and carrots and hash browns (cubes) for the veggies and just thawed them as suggested. I also added a little tarragon to the gravy. This mixture really filled the pie crust and I was worried that it would leak out while cooking but it didn't - the pie baked up perfectly and was just delicious. Thanks for posting!