This recipe is a combination of a Southern Living Recipe and my Grandmother's recipe. I used short cuts when they worked and this is a recipe that my whole family loves. Even when older kids leave for college, they beg to take some of this with them! All ages love this and the house smells great! Great comfort food! Line your oven with foil paper; there is a lot of filling. Or you can divide it and make one pot pie for now and one for later!
- 1 1⁄2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (15 ounce) packages refrigerated pie crusts (or use your favorite pie crust recipe!)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Saute potatoes in margarine for 5 minutes in a Dutch oven.
- Add onion, celery and thawed frozen vegetables.
- Saute for another 10 minutes.
- Add flour gradually to the sauteed mixture, stirring constantly for one minute.
- Allow refrigerated pie crust to come to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, combine chicken broth and half and half.
- Gradually stir into the vegetable mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Add chopped chicken, stirring well.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a 9 X 13 casserole with nonstick spray.
- Place pie crust on the bottom of the pan to cover, cutting to fit.
- Pour chicken/vegetable mixture over the pie crust.
- Top with the remaining pie crust.
- Cut vents in the top crust.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.