Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Another recipe from Grandma's Kitchen Recipe Cards. This is AMAZINGLY good! And more than simple! My first shot at "homemade" noodles, and they were so yummy and so darn easy to make!
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups cold water, divided
- 3 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 1 lb skinless chicken thigh
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Mix flour, 1/4 teaspoon thyme and salt in bowl. Beat egg yolk with 3 tablespoons water in another small bowl; add to flour mixture. Stir until well blended. Shape into ball. Place dough on lightly floured surface; flatten. Knead about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic, adding more flour as necessary. Wrap dough in plastic wrap; let stand 15 minutes.
- Roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness on lightly floured surface with rolling pin. Let rolled out dough stand about 30 minutes to dry. Cut into 1/4-inch wide strips; cut strips 2 inches long.
- Place chicken thighs and remaining water in saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Drain and rinse chicken; let cool slightly. Remove chicken meat from bones; discard bones. Cut chicken into 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch pieces.
- Mix chicken broth, onion, carrot and remaining thyme in saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add noodles. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, 8 minutes or until noodles are done. Stir in chicken pieces and peas. Bring soup to a boil and serve.