Recipe by AmandaT519
This is a recipe my grandmother used to make, though I changed it just a little bit.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 16 baby carrots, cut into circles
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups water (approx)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In large, deep sautee pan (will need a lid) sautee the cubed chicken, black pepper and salt until the chicken is just slightly browned.
- Add carrots and celery, and let cook for about five minutes.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of water, stir together. Cover and let simmer for approx 20 minutes, or until carrots are just tender.
- Add 2 tbsp flour and whisk in, and then stir in with spoon. This will thicken the gravy. If too thick, slowly add more water as the dumplings will absorb quite a bit of liquid.
- Add frozen peas. Let simmer for a few minutes.
- In bowl, mix together Bisquick, milk and parsley. Dough will be very thick.
- Using a regular tablespoon, add scoops of Bisquick mixture on top of the cooking stew mixture.
- Simmer on low for ten minutes (uncovered).
- Cover and simmer for ten more minutes.
- Scoop out dumplings and put them in a bowl so they won't over cook. Serve chicken stew with dumplings on the side, best if you put some of the gravy overtop of the dumplings for eating.