This is a recipe my grandmother used to make, though I changed it just a little bit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 16 baby carrots, cut into circles
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups water (approx)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1In large, deep sautee pan (will need a lid) sautee the cubed chicken, black pepper and salt until the chicken is just slightly browned.
- 2Add carrots and celery, and let cook for about five minutes.
- 3Add 2 1/2 cups of water, stir together. Cover and let simmer for approx 20 minutes, or until carrots are just tender.
- 4Add 2 tbsp flour and whisk in, and then stir in with spoon. This will thicken the gravy. If too thick, slowly add more water as the dumplings will absorb quite a bit of liquid.
- 5Add frozen peas. Let simmer for a few minutes.
- 6In bowl, mix together Bisquick, milk and parsley. Dough will be very thick.
- 7Using a regular tablespoon, add scoops of Bisquick mixture on top of the cooking stew mixture.
- 8Simmer on low for ten minutes (uncovered).
- 9Cover and simmer for ten more minutes.
- 10Scoop out dumplings and put them in a bowl so they won't over cook. Serve chicken stew with dumplings on the side, best if you put some of the gravy overtop of the dumplings for eating.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Chicken and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (513 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 570.2
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 105.6 mg
- Sodium 1038.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 46.8 g