Recipe by MDMama
We like Hamburger Helper but we don't like the MSG or other icky ingredients! You can prepare "sauce packets" ahead of time to save time. Increase/alter seasonings and/or cheese to suit your tastes!
Top Review by CoCo Ann
I followed the recipe exactly. I did use whole wheat macaroni pasta and the kraft american/cheddar cheese blend. Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am making up baggies with the "sauce packet" blend for future use.
- 1 lb 92% lean ground beef (or your preferred type)
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded, plus more for topping, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet. Drain.
- Add hot water, milk, pasta and "sauce packet" ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 12 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- In the last few minutes of cook time, add cheese, stir and re-cover.
- When pasta is tender and cheese is melted, remove heat and uncover.
- Let stand about 5 minutes. Sauce will thicken as it stands.
- Top with additional cheese if you like.