Prep 2 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great alternative to the real thing...use in any recipe that calls for Cheese Whiz.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs american processed cheese
- 13 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon flour
- In a double boiler melt butter add cheese.
- When softened mix in the egg yolks, evaporated milk and flour; cook,stirring until thickened.
- Cool then transfer to a covered jar and store in the refrigerator.
What a lifesaver! I was making a broccoli casserole for a church Easter egg hunt, and had everything I needed except Cheez Whiz. I only needed 1 cup, so I reduced the cheese to 1/2 lb, and the milk to 4 ounces. But I was using regular milk, so I thought that using 1 egg yolk and the full 1 Tablespoon of flour were necessary to give me the right consistency. I also used the full tablespoon of butter since I was losing the richness that comes from evaporated milk. The recipe turned out perfectly! It tasted even better than cheese whiz in my book! I will never buy it again! This is my go to from now on...I just need to make sure not to run out of evaporated milk! Thanks Kitten!