Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Smooth Madagascar vanilla is added to rich Rooibos red tea to make a refreshing drink you will enjoy, and no caffeine! Rooibos tea has no tannins so will not get bitter. Adapted from the Nourishing Gourmet.
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 15 cloves
- 15 allspice berries
- 5 cardamom pods
- 15 black peppercorns
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried ginger (more to make it spicy. You can also use fresh ginger. For a spicy version, cut 1 inch of plump ginge)
- 6 tablespoons of rooibos tea leaves
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (from Madagascar)
- Crack the spices (excluding the cinnamon sticks and ginger). You can use a mortar and pestle, or a quick whiz in a coffee grinder.
- . Add to a medium pot with the cinnamon sticks and ginger and add 6 cups of filtered water.
- Bring to a boil and lower the heat to maintain a low simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain. Add the vanilla extract.
- This concentrate will keep up to 10 days in the refrigerator.
- To serve, combine and heat with milk of choice(I like almond or coconut) in a 1 to 1 ratio (per serving, generally use 3/4 cup of concentrate to 3/4 cup of milk) and sweetener of choice. Or, if you like, just add to water to make tea.