1 hr 10 mins
Chef #1435605's Note:
My kids love to eat the boxed cereal bars. Even the organic ones have things I can say, let alone spell. So I search and came up with my own. My kids love them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups oats, ground
- 2 cups flour (I used whole wheat because its what I had)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 3Heat fruit in a saucepan over med-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- 4Cook until the fruit begins to cook down and thicken, about 15 minutes.
- 5If the fruit is to chancy, put in a blender to puree for a few pluses then put back into the pan.
- 6Whisk in cornstarch and cook 5 more minutes.
- 7Taste fruit and if it is too sour add 1 teaspoon of sugar until it is to taste.
- 8Put fruit into a heat safe bowl and into the fridge until cool. About 20-30 minutes.
- 9You can make the fruit up to 2 days prior to using.
- 11Cream butter, sugar, vanilla and applesauce
- 12Add to flour and mix throughly.
- 13Place dough onto plastic wrap and form into a brick. Cut in half and wrap each in plastic wrap and chill in fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- 14Roll out half of the dough and transfer onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. To make it eaiser on myself, I rolled the dough out between 2 peices of parchment paper.
- 15Spread fruit onto dough.
- 16Roll out 2nd half and place on top. Press down the sides to seal them. Use an egg wash if you want to help keep sides sealed.
- 17Trim the edges if you want it pretty. :).
- 18Bake for 25-35 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 19Take out of pan and cool completely on cooling rack.
- 20Cut bars into desired size.
- 21Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Use parchment paper between layers.
- 22Freeze remaining bars in freezer safe container or bag. Let thaw overnight in fridge.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Cereal Bars
Serving Size: 1 (48 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 295.0
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 106.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: