Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
My kids love to eat the boxed cereal bars. Even the organic ones have things I can say, let alone spell. So I search and came up with my own. My kids love them.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups oats, ground
- 2 cups flour (I used whole wheat because its what I had)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups fruit, of choice (Frozen or Fresh)
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat fruit in a saucepan over med-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until the fruit begins to cook down and thicken, about 15 minutes.
- If the fruit is to chancy, put in a blender to puree for a few pluses then put back into the pan.
- Whisk in cornstarch and cook 5 more minutes.
- Taste fruit and if it is too sour add 1 teaspoon of sugar until it is to taste.
- Put fruit into a heat safe bowl and into the fridge until cool. About 20-30 minutes.
- You can make the fruit up to 2 days prior to using.
- Cream butter, sugar, vanilla and applesauce
- Add to flour and mix throughly.
- Place dough onto plastic wrap and form into a brick. Cut in half and wrap each in plastic wrap and chill in fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- Roll out half of the dough and transfer onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. To make it eaiser on myself, I rolled the dough out between 2 peices of parchment paper.
- Spread fruit onto dough.
- Roll out 2nd half and place on top. Press down the sides to seal them. Use an egg wash if you want to help keep sides sealed.
- Trim the edges if you want it pretty. :).
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Take out of pan and cool completely on cooling rack.
- Cut bars into desired size.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Use parchment paper between layers.
- Freeze remaining bars in freezer safe container or bag. Let thaw overnight in fridge.