Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 mins
This recipe is a recipe I modified from one I found on the Internet http://davesgarden.com/cookbook/viewentry.php?rid=1637 for a old Weight Watchers catsup recipe... As of date of submission I had not made the recipe yet... but will add a comment on the results when I do...
- 2 (6 ounce) cans no-sugar-added tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons onion flakes
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons orange peel, freshly microplaned
- Combine in med. saucepan and simmer all ingredients for 3 minutes and bottle. This can also be canned.
Really good base - I added no-sugar minced sweet pickles, microwaved chopped onion and celery, a little allspice & stevia instead of splenda. Good stuff and no-into-the-veins injection of regular sugared catsup. The taste is a little different, but after a little use it's not possible to return to the regular commercial suger-overloaded stuff - and it's great for my type II diabetes.