Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
We have a 20-year old cat, Smoki, who is a bit finicky, so I went looking for a recipe he would like. This one is my modification of Tuna Patty Treats for Your Cat (Pet Food), adjusting it to utilize an entire one pound container of chicken livers. (The cat is the only one in the house who likes liver.) I also poach the livers before chopping to make them keep better in the fridge. Smoki loves this recipe, and it is cheaper than premium cat food. Our other cat, Hector, is only 18 months, and he loves it, too.
- Chop the parsley finely and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drain the chicken livers in a sieve over the sink and rinse well. Drop into boiling water.
- Allow water to return just to a boil, then remove the pan from the heat and cover. Let the livers poach for five minutes. Drain well, rinse in cold water, chop in processor, and add to bowl with parsley.
- Drain tuna, add to mixture along with rice.
- Mix and mash until well combined. Fill storage containers and refrigerate for up to one week, or freeze in portions for up to three months.
Don't throw out that tuna water... use it AS part of the cooking water... keep that flavor. Do remember that in the past cats ate mice, rodants... not so much of veggies and carbs. I found with my bowl problem cat that fiber plugged him up terribly.... from stem to stern.
I try this for my cat. and he would not eat it. I put a little bit in his mouth and he still didn"t like it. the only homemade cat food he would it is chicken,rice and carrot. I was hoping for a second recipes. thank anyway.
my micky loves this stuff thanks