Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
These have been a family hit ever since I began making them as a teenager. But I can't make them too far in advance of Christmas or I don't have any left to share!
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup butter (not margarine)
- 4 cups white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn syrup
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Butter a large kettle.
- Stir together butter, sugar, syrup, 1 cup of the half & half, 1 cup of the whipping cream.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the remaining liquid.
- Stir constantly and cook to 240 degrees (soft ball stage). Caramels will scorch if not stirred continuously.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
- After caramels have cooled and hardened, cut into desired size pieces and wrap individually in plastic wrap.