This sauce is great for homemade pizza. It is also great spooned over sautéed chicken with melted mozzarella
- 25 -28 tomatoes
- 2 large onions, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon summer savory
- Peel and puree the tomatoes.
- Mince the onion and garlic.
- Put olive oil in deep pan and sauté the onions and garlic until transparent.
- Add the tomato puree and the rest of the ingredients; stir well to blend.
- Cook on low until mixture is reduced by ½, stirring occasionally.
- This will take 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- When sauce is done and nicely thickened, ladle into hot pint size jars, clean the rims of the jars, and seal.
- Process for 25 minutes in water bath.