Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
This sauce is great for homemade pizza. It is also great spooned over sautéed chicken with melted mozzarella
Top Review by littlethibault
This sauce was awesome. Instead of peeling the tomatoes, I just core them and puree them down in the blender. The skin dissappears, and you save yourself a lot of work! Thanks for sharing.
- 25 -28 tomatoes
- 2 large onions, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon summer savory
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and puree the tomatoes.
- Mince the onion and garlic.
- Put olive oil in deep pan and sauté the onions and garlic until transparent.
- Add the tomato puree and the rest of the ingredients; stir well to blend.
- Cook on low until mixture is reduced by ½, stirring occasionally.
- This will take 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- When sauce is done and nicely thickened, ladle into hot pint size jars, clean the rims of the jars, and seal.
- Process for 25 minutes in water bath.