Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Halloween is just around the corner; thought it might be nice to post this.... Recipe adapted from "Field Guide to Candy".
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup powdered milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- food coloring, if desired
- 1. In a bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar with the powdered milk and salt and set aside.
- 2. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and butter. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Stir in the powdered-milk mixture and let the dough rest for a few minutes until it’s cool enough to handle.
- 3. Divide dough into 3 equal portions and place each in a separate bowl. Add food coloring as desired, kneading each portion of dough until the coloring is evenly distributed and the dough is smooth and stiff.
- 4. Roll each piece of dough into a rope about 1/2 inch thick. Place the three ropes of dough next to each other to form a long rectangle. Use a rolling pin to gently press them together.
- 5. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into triangles and place them on a baking sheet. Let set for about 1 hour. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 month.