Recipe by tomsawyer
Found this on the back of an organic can of butternut squash from Farmer's Market. Looks really easy and probably easy to adjust.
Top Review by Mirj
This was absolutely delicious! I left out the baking soda but doubled the cinnamon, we like cinnamon! I zhuzzed the whole thing straight in the pot with my Thunderstick and the whole batch was consumed in one sitting. Made for ZWT 5.
- 1 (15 ounce) can butternut squash (probably about 2 lbs raw)
- 14 ounces vegetable broth (or chicken)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt (or less)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, add broth, onion, carrots, baking soda, salt, cinnamon (if using), and pepper. Some nutmeg might be good here as well.
- Simmer uncovered for ten to fifteen minutes until vegetables are soft.
- (Optional: Put vegetables and broth into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Return to Pot).
- Add butternut squash and half and half.
- Simmer uncovered for ten minutes and serve.