Recipe by Chef Mommy #6
I've started baking as part of my "financial diet". I use a lot of buttermilk for my baking whose price was affecting the cost effectiveness of home baking. I do love freshly baked stuff so I set about looking for a cheap source of buttermilk. The recipe below was by far the most cost effective, not to mention delicious. I found it online & unfortunately I can't find the link so I could acknowledge the owner.
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the two ingredients in a CLEAN container.
- Let stand in a warm, dark place for 16-24 hours.
- Once curdly stir and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks. Use as needed.
- NOTE: Use fresh buttermilk; the older the buttermilk the more likely that the culture won't grow.
- Bacteria is temperature sensitive, so adjust the time accordingly.