Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Here is a simple, but totally decadent recipe for butter pecan ice cream that is made in the ice cream maker. So easy to make with fabulous results. Much better than store bought. Great for a hot summer day...or any time of the year for that matter. Cook time includes freeze time that varies from machine to machine. Whole pecan nuts can be used instead of the chopped!
- 1⁄2 pint light cream
- 1⁄2 pint heavy cream
- 2 ounces brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup pecan nuts (chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or according to taste)
- Place the light cream, sugar and butter into a saucepan and mix together over a low heat.
- Stir until the mixture starts to bubble around the edges.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to cool.
- When the mixture is cold transfer it to an ice cream maker and stir in the heavy cream and vanilla extract.
- Freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions but remember to add the pecan nuts as the ice cream starts to harden.
This is wonderful! The taste is just perfect. I made it as posted and it does not make very much ~ about 2 cups or so. I will double or triple it in the future. I didn't chop the pecans ~ I just broke them up as I dropped them in since I like the pieces bigger. When I made the custard, it never bubbled around the edges for me and it actually boiled so I was concerned that I had messed it up but it worked perfectly. Thanks so much for posting a keeper!
Not at all sweet! Next time I will add twice the brown sugar and taste test it at every stage to be sure there is enough sweetness.
Yucky! Sorry, no one in my family liked this recipe. We all agreed that it was blah and not sweet enough like you would expect ice cream to be! If you like the taste of frozen whipped cream, a greasy taste all over your lips and mouth like shortening, then this is a must try! The only good thing I can say about this recipe is that it doesn't contain any raw eggs!