Recipe by yogabead
This recipe came from my daughter's text book in elementary school. We thought we'd give it a try and it turned out great.
Top Review by Gruenes
This makes great tasting butter and great for the kids to help out with. We used heavy cream instead of the whipping cream as we are overseas and do not have the option of whipping cream. We do not refrigerate our butter, so it is soft when we want to use it. It only lasts a couple days at our house anyway. We also used the buttermilk that we poured off the butter. Thanks for posting!!!
Directions See How It's Made
- Put cream in a quart size glass jar in a warm place for about 2 hours (In an oven that is off).
- Remove jar from warm place and screw the jar lid on tight.
- Shake the jar up and down for about 20 minutes until a solid mass forms.
- Pour off the buttermilk.
- Put the butter into a mixing bowl.
- Put the ice cubes into the bowl.
- Let the ice melt a little.
- Work the water into the butter with your fingers until the butter is cold.
- Pour off the ice cubes and water.
- Sprinkle salt over the cold butter.
- Mix it with your fingers until the salt disappears.
- Put the butter in a dish and place in refrigerator to harden.