Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It. Found this recipe and thought it might be a good way to use up left over heavy cream.
- Allow cream to come to room temperature.
- Pour into a jar that is at least twice the capacity of the cream and has a tight fitting lid. Shake the cream vigorously, butter will happen in 20 to 30 minutes. Once the butter has separated into a solid mass give a few more shakes. The liquid at the top is buttermilk and can be used or discarded.
- Pour buttermilk into a separate container and reserve if desired. Continue to shake butter and pour off any buttermilk, a couple more times.
- Add just enough water to cover the solid butter and and shake. Discard liquid down the drain. Do this 3 to 4 more times until the liquid from the jar is clear. Do not add this liquid to the buttermilk if using.
- Spoon butter into a bowl and add salt if desired. Shape butter as desired using wax paper and refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes. Can be refrigerated, tightly wrapped, for up to 2 weeks.