Recipe by Dan-Amer #1
After having lived in Chicago for over 25 years, I crave Italian sausage and of course it is not available in Denmark, so I have adapted this recipe from one I found on grouprecipes.com. This is excellent to use on deep dish Chicago style pizzas and it also freezes well.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 2⁄3 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2⁄3 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 lb ground lean pork
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend together all of the ingredients with the exception of the ground pork until they are thoroughly and uniformly mixed.
- With your clean hands blend the mixture of seasonings into the ground pork until it is well and uniformly blended inches
- Place the sausage in the refrigerator overnight in a covered container so that the flavors can blend before use.
- When I make I usually use 1/3 of it rather quickly on a deep dish pizza and freeze the rest for later use.