Recipe by BirdyBaker
Here is a really different recipe I stumbled across for brown bread ice cream. Just the name made me want to try it, and I was glad I did. This recipe requires you to make a custard base and I have given the directions in the recipe. Cook time includes freeze time and this varies from machine to machine. Really great to cool off with and enjoy!
- 6 ounces brown breadcrumbs
- 1 pint light cream
- 2 large eggs (separated)
- 4 ounces caster sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium hot oven, bake/brown the breadcrumbs in a roasting tin for approx 10 to 15 mins, turning often.
- Make a custard base using 1/2 pint (300ml) of the cream along with the sugar and egg yolks and leave to cool.
- Directions for making a custard base:.
- Ingredients: 4 egg yolks, 1/2 pint (250ml) milk, 1/2 pint (250ml) double/heavy cream, 4 oz (100g) sugar or caster sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or according to taste).
- Scald the milk (bring slowly up to boiling point in a saucepan).
- Separately, mix together the egg yolks and sugar until thick.
- Pour into this the hot milk, whilst continuously stirring. Then pour the mixture back into the pan and heat gently, stirring until the custard thickens - DO NOT BRING TO THE BOIL OR IT WILL PROBABLY CURDLE.
- When you can see a film form over the back of your spoon it's time to remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Leave to cool.
- When the mixture is cold, stir in the breadcrumbs, vanilla extract and rest of the cream and then transfer the complete mixture into an ice cream maker.
- Freeze following the manufacturer's instructions BUT just as it's starting to freeze whisk the egg whites until fluffy and add to the mixture, thereafter continuing the freezing process.