1/2 Photos of Homemade Brown Bread Ice Cream
6 hrs 45 mins
Here is a really different recipe I stumbled across for brown bread ice cream. Just the name made me want to try it, and I was glad I did. This recipe requires you to make a custard base and I have given the directions in the recipe. Cook time includes freeze time and this varies from machine to machine. Really great to cool off with and enjoy!
My Private Note
batch i ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium hot oven, bake/brown the breadcrumbs in a roasting tin for approx 10 to 15 mins, turning often.
- 2Make a custard base using 1/2 pint (300ml) of the cream along with the sugar and egg yolks and leave to cool.
- 3Directions for making a custard base:.
- 4Ingredients: 4 egg yolks, 1/2 pint (250ml) milk, 1/2 pint (250ml) double/heavy cream, 4 oz (100g) sugar or caster sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or according to taste).
- 5Scald the milk (bring slowly up to boiling point in a saucepan).
- 6Separately, mix together the egg yolks and sugar until thick.
- 7Pour into this the hot milk, whilst continuously stirring. Then pour the mixture back into the pan and heat gently, stirring until the custard thickens - DO NOT BRING TO THE BOIL OR IT WILL PROBABLY CURDLE.
- 8When you can see a film form over the back of your spoon it's time to remove the saucepan from the heat.
- 9Leave to cool.
- 10When the mixture is cold, stir in the breadcrumbs, vanilla extract and rest of the cream and then transfer the complete mixture into an ice cream maker.
- 11Freeze following the manufacturer's instructions BUT just as it's starting to freeze whisk the egg whites until fluffy and add to the mixture, thereafter continuing the freezing process.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Brown Bread Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (2415 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6081.9
- Calories from Fat 3156
- Total Fat 350.7 g
- Saturated Fat 202.6 g
- Cholesterol 1479.0 mg
- Sodium 5172.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 604.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 27.0 g
- Sugars 153.7 g
- Protein 135.8 g