Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
You may use beef or pork or a combination of both. You may use splenda instead of brown sugar or maple syrup. You will have to use a little more splenda.If you have fresh herbs the flavor is more intense.This is a make ahead recipe and freeze if desired. I used to make this with ground vension and ground pork. The kids loved it.
- 2 lbs ground beef (or 1 lb beef and 1 lb pork) or 2 lbs ground pork (or 1 lb beef and 1 lb pork)
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt or 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, if desired
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar or 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
- In large bowl, mix ground meat and spices and herbs.
- In warm water, add brown sugar or splenda and maple syrup if desired. Stir.
- Add to ground meat mixture and mix well.
- Form patties.
- Fry in heavy skillet on medium heat. Brown on both sides.
- Pack each pattie between waxed paper if you freeze. Then reheat in pan or microwave.
Honeslty, I was kind of surprised how good this was! We don't eat pork, so I used all hamburder, and was expecting just that...flavored hamburger. The beauty of this recipe is that somewhere along the way, the combination of the spices and water changed the texture of the meat to a more 'sausage-y' consistency! It was great! The only thing I will do differently next time is maybe double the amount of seasonings used...and add some cayenne. Thanks for sharing. My family is thrilled to have sausage again! ** I made this a second time with ground lamb, and didn't think it was as good as the beef, certainly not worth the additional cost. I think I will try it with ground chicken & some finely chopped apples next!
This is a great recipe. Thank you so much! I was visiting in Denmark and wanted to make a recipe that required a breakfast sausage. I couldn't find any in the markets, but then I found your recipe. Everyone who tried it, loved it! Easy and quick to make along with a great taste. Thanks again =)
We really enjoyed this. My 3 y/o DS loves sausage and he always wants more of this recipe. I subbed ground turkey for a lighter version. Delicious!