Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This dough recipe is used by our family to make everything from cloverleaf rolls to fried bread.
- 1 1⁄4 ounces yeast
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 cups warm milk
- 4 cups flour
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 warm water, stirring until all yeast dissolved (package directions).
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT flour.
- Slowly add flour to wet mixture.
- Let raise in warm place for an hour (or more) until dough doubles in size.
- Bake at 350 12 - 15 minutes for rolls.
- Fried Scones: Follow recipe for homemade bread. Shape dough into pancake size discs. Drop into 1" hot oil skillet on med-high heat. Turn only once about 2 minutes on each side.