Recipe by sugarpea
Make a six month supply of bread crumbs for the cost of 2 loaves of bread and a cup of butter. And they taste better than the store-bought version. I've used this recipe for 15 years and have no idea where it came from. The yield of course, will depend on the size of the loaves you use.
Top Review by adslara
This is such an easy and delectable recipe! I followed the recipe as is and got wonderful golden brown bread crumbs that smelled heavenly. I made a small batch and couldn't save much of it as it was too delicious to be not eaten right away! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.
- 2 loaves firm-textured white bread
- 1 cup butter
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Use a food processor or blender to crumb the bread evenly.
- Crumbs should not be like sand.
- Leave some texture-don't overprocess.
- Melt butter in a large pan and add crumbs and salt and pepper.
- Stir until evenly coated.
- Continue stirring over medium heat until the crumbs sound like sand when they hit the bottom of the pan.
- Cool thoroughly.
- Then store in heavy duty plastic bags with zipper seals.
- Don't put them in the refrigerator-they won't keep.
- Store them in a cabinet for up to six months.