Prep 5 hrs
Cook 45 mins
I have been making this bread recipe for a long time now. It is a simple bread recipe.
Make and share this Homemade Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packagestraditional yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 9 cups flour
- Pour 1/2 cup warm water in tall glass, add yeast and 2 rounded tsp sugar. Let stand 10 minutes.
- As yeast mixture is working, pour 4 cups of water in sauce pan, add 2 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp salt and 3 tbsp bacon drippings. Stir until bacon drippings are melted. Shortening can be used, but the flavour is not as good.
- Pour 6 cups flour in large bowl, make a well in the middle, pour in saucepan mixture. Mix yeast well and pour into flour mixture. Add 3 more cups of flour and mix top to bottom until formed.
- Pour extra flour on counter and knead dough until smooth and elastic and no longer sticky (about 10 minutes). Place in a large greased (bacon Fat)glass bowl. Cover with clean towel and let stand for 1-½ hours in a draft free place. (Inside oven with light on is ideal).
- Remove from bowl and punch down dough on lightly floured counter. Return to bowl and cover with towel and let stand for one more hour.
- Remove from bowl and punch down dough on lightly floured counter.
- Cut into four equal parts and roll like a baby blanket. Place in 4-greased (bacon drippings) loaf pans and cover with towel. Let stand 21/2 hours then bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 35 to 45 minutes (Until golden brown).
- Remove from oven and turn loaves over on countertop (Taking them out of the pans). Let cool completely before bagging the loaves. They cool faster if you turn them around every ten minutes or so.
This is the first time I have made bread from scratch and it was wonderful!! I do not save my bacon dripping, so I mixed a bit of beef bouillon in with my shortening to add a bit of flavor. This makes 4 good size loaves or 3 good size and 2 mini loaves, which were great for my little ones sandwiches. It freezes well, guess its time for me to get rid of my bread maker! Thanks for sharing MOM'S HOMEMADE BREAD! New favorite in my kitchen!
Great tasting bread!! I only made 1/4 of the recipe in order to make one loaf. I used my KitchenAid mixer and it was a breeze. I did have to add more flour then listed as it was still too sticky. I let it rise as indicated for the first amount of time, but then I shaped it into a loaf, cut a couple of slashes on the top and let it rise for the 2nd time and baked it for 35 minutes and it turned out wonderful!! I served this with Butter and the 6 of us devoured the whole loaf at dinner. Thanks for sharing a recipe that I will be making again. Made for Newest Tag Game.